Minnesota Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)


Download PDF

Quick Facts

Administering Program Name
Department of Human Services

Eligibility Information

In Minnesota, students who are between ages 18 and 49 and enrolled at least half-time in an institute of higher education* are eligible for SNAP if they have a qualifying household income and meet one of the following criteria:

You are:

  • Participating in a state or federal work study program
  • Working at least 20 hours per week in a paid position (unpaid internships do not qualify)
  • Caring for a dependent child under the age of 6
  • Caring for a dependent child between ages 5 and 12 and do not have adequate child care that would enable you to attend school while working 20 hours per week or participating in a work study program
  • A single parent, enrolled full time with a dependent child under the age of 12
  • Receiving public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program
  • Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
    • A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998;
    • A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974;
    • An Employment and Training (E&T) program under the Food Stamp Act; or
    • An employment and training program operated by a state or local government.

*If you are a student outside of this age range or enrolled less than half-time, use this worksheet to determine if you are still eligible for benefits.

How Do I Apply?

  • Apply online at dhs.mn.gov.
  • If you’d like to apply on paper, fill out the Combined Application Form (CAF) and mail or bring the form to your county or tribal office of Human Services.
  • If you need to apply for urgent assistance, contact your county or tribal office.
  • Complete the application process by attending an interview. You may request a phone interview due to a hardship.

SNAP Application Assistance

The Minnesota SNAP hotline can help you determine what county you live in and where to apply for SNAP. Call (651) 431-4050 if you are in the Twin Cities metro area or (800) 657-3698 outside the metro area. For Teletypewriter (TTY) service, call the Minnesota Relay at 711 or (800) 627-3529.

The Minnesota Food Helpline can help you apply for SNAP and connect you with other food resources. Call (888) 711-1151 or visit http://www.hungersolutions.org/find-help/ to email or live chat with the Minnesota Food Helpline.

If your school is a Hunger-Free Campus, you have a campus staff member whose job is (in part) to help you apply for SNAP. Contact your campus pantry or basic needs office for more information.

Where/How to Use

  • You can use your SNAP benefits to buy groceries and seeds or plants that produce food.
  • You can use your EBT card to purchase food at any grocery store or farmers’ market that accepts SNAP. Use the map on the FreshEBT app to find grocery stores and farmers markets near you.

This page was last updated on October 19, 2020.

Quick Facts

Administering Program Name
Department of Human Services

Advocacy Organizations

Outreach Organizations